Skin care product must haves!
Magazines and make up counters are full of products that make hefty claims and many of us have fallen victim to a good sales pitch or ten. The fact is, some of these products may actually do what they claim, just not for you. You need to find someone with your skin type, that is not trying to sell you anything, that has done a bit of the research for you and can break down what works for them and why. Today’s post will break down my favorite items for my skin type (dry, sensitive and rosacea) and that of my 23 year old daughter (ultra super-duper sensitive, and extra cute if you ask me). Let’s start with my favorites:
1. Dermologica Pre Cleanse – this is a cleansing oil that will gently remove the first layer of make up without aggravating the skin. The oil goes onto a dry face and then you dampen your fingers and work to a gentle, almost lather (no lipids so it will not foam). Rinse with a warm washcloth (tons of make up will come off here!) and proceed to product 2.
2. Mary Kay Oil Free Eye Make up Remover – hands down the best product on the market! As gentle as water on the delicate eyes but can take off even the most stubborn, waterproof make up with ease. It is a miracle worker and I have tried them all!!!
3. Institut Esthederm Paris Osmoclean Hydra-Replenishing Cleansing Milk – Pricey but oh so worth the difference! My rosacea redness is drastically minimized after cleansing and especially the next morning. Apply this with the:
4. Clarisonic Mia Cleansing Brush with the Deep Pore Brush Attachment– If you wear a full coverage foundation, concealer, highlighter, bronzer etc… like me to cover that redness, than you need this multistep process, with effective yet gentle cleansers and the Clarisonic brush. The “deep pore” brush intensifies the products ability to do their job. All serums and moisturizers will work better when you pre-cleans, then deep cleanse the pores (thereby minimizing their appearance) with this revolutionary brush. Many copycats are on the market and I have not bothered to try them because I love my Clarisonic that much!
MOISTURIZE AND ANTIAGING
5. Neocutis Bio Cream Riche Bio-restorative Skin Balm – This is like a mini face lift in a bottle. It is a hydrating, firming and lifting cream with Swiss formula PSP’s to completely renew your skin and regenerate your cells. I have been asked if I have used Botox and I have not (yet) but I swear this product is the reason!
6. Neocutis Lumiere Bio-restorative Eye Cream – Works the same way as the skin balm but for the delicate eye area. Reduces puffiness, bags (mine can get bad from allergies), fine lines and wrinkles like nothing I have tried on the market. Only physicians sell this product and Allure Magazine continues to award them as one of the best eye creams on the market. I use riche at night for extra moisture and the regular for day under make up so my concealer and eye liner stay put.
EXFOLIATE AND REGENERATE
7. Institut Esthederm Paris Osmoclean Lightening Buffing Mask – I love this one in a hurry because you buff it off gently with your fingers and slough away dead skin only minutes after application. The softness is velvety and lasts for days. (once a week)
8. Image Ageless Total Resurfacing Mask – This one is deeper and the results are earth shattering. It is a 20 minute application but worth it after a late night of fun. Follow with an intensive moisturizer or, if time permits, the hydrating mask below. I always get the “your make up looks really good” compliments the day I use this. Little do they know, my make up is the same, but resurfacing the skin underneath is the key to making it look right. (once a week)
9. Ole Henrikson Blue/Blackberry Enzyme Replenishing Mask – Antioxidants are a key ingredient in this cool, gooey gel mask. A warm wash cloth will take away the shine and you will be left with, you guessed it, velvety skin. Because I am also very dry, this is critical for me.
GLOW AND TAN
10. Jergens Natural Glow for Face – I apply this moisturizer a few times a week to give myself a healthy glow. Be sure to use the right formula, Fair to Medium helps me stay natural. If you use Medium to Tan, you need to be naturally darker or have a little color from the sun or it can make your face look a bit orange.
11. Jergens Natural Glow Firming for Body – the firming formula is especially great on the thighs and back of the arms. Again, use the shade right for your skin tone.
12 Sally Hanson Air Brush Legs – spray this on your hands (I use a surgical glove) and buff in evenly all over legs after the Jergens dries. This will give a nice, even color to your legs that does not scream fake bronzer. It dries quickly and will not get on your clothes, but always beware with white.
13. Vichy Cellu Destock – This pure caffeine plus lipocidine formula is the most effective I have found (Walgreens) for smoothing and tightening the cellulite areas around the rear and thighs. Stick with the application habitually when you are gearing up for a swimsuit!
Sarah Happ Lip Scrub – Intense sugar scrub in a bunch of yummy flavors like brown sugar and vanilla bean (cool gift) that really will take the dead skin off. So many of these products don’t work for me but this one is good. Use an old tooth brush for extra troubled lips. Follow with the Lip Slip balm which is a conditioner but also doubles as a really nice nude gloss.
Aquaphor – this is an old stand by for all types of dry skin problems and it my absolute go to for getting my brittle, cracked lips under control.
My daughter cannot use many of the products I use because her skin is so ultra sensitive, she will break out at the tiniest irritation. She has her tried and true skin care routine below (Remember, she is only 23 but she uses Anti-Aging formula!)
Murad Age Reformer Scrub – She uses this a few times a week to exfoliate and although it is effective, its also super gentle. I love this one too!
Murad Acne Clarifying Cleanser– The salicylic acid in this cleanser works wonders at cleansing and controlling breakouts without upsetting sensitivity. Benzoyl Peroxide products are too harsh.
Murad Anti-Aging Moisturizer for Blemish Prone Skin – Goes on like water and won’t clog pores or cause break outs and redness.
Clarisonic Sensitive Skin Brush
Ashley swears by the sensitive skin brush that delivers the products to the pores without causing a reaction.
Both of us remove all make up and deep cleansing with the Clarisonic before bed – even when tipsy. Do not wait until the next day!!! Stale make up is a huge cause of dull, dry skin and enlarged pores. Find out about our favorite make up products and tips next time!!